January 08, 2008

Ouray is candy for ice climbers

I arrived in Ouray yesterday afternoon. My flight to Grand Junction went fast and the drive from GJ to Ouray was pretty casual despite the foul weather. To be honest i haven't been that excited about this trip to Ouray. Too many things back home occupying my time so i just haven't had the chance to get excited about it.

After arriving in town, I tossed my stuff onto the floor of the condo, quickly changed and headed to the bridge area hoping to connect with anyone. I didn't have a whole lot of time so i ended up soloing two routes and was able to get a belay from another group on a fun WI-6 pillar. In one hour from the condo and back, i climbed 450 feet of ice! Being an ice climber in Ouray is like being a kid in a candy store with all the money you want!!

It's a bluebird day today, and i don't think I'll have any time to climb despite an invite from some friends Heather and I made while in Kalymnos back in October. Who knows, maybe I'll take a long lunch and get a few more routes in.